About BOTOX® Cosmetic
Wrinkles such as worry lines, laugh lines, neck lines, crow’s feet and neck bands are caused by muscles under the skin contracting when we laugh, smile or express emotions facially. BOTOX® Cosmetic so effective because it works on the root of the cause, the muscles. BOTOX® Cosmetic temporarily weakens the skin’s muscles, reducing its ability to contract. No contractions mean no wrinkles, and skin smoother, tighter and wrinkle-free skin.
- Our clients typically see results in three to five days. It may take up to 14 days in some cases, although that’s very rare.
- The treatment lasts for three to four months. Clients who repeat the treatments every few months over a period of time and follow suggestions and recommendations typically see longer-lasting results.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments are safe, easy to administer, and have no harmful side effects. And the best part is, it only takes a few minutes.
- Depending on the severity and area of the wrinkles, you’ll be up and away in ten to twenty minutes, with just a few BOTOX® Cosmetic injections.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Skin Ages
In general, how skin ages and wrinkles is a complex process. It isn’t just about cellular changes, collagen depletion, hormone loss and damage caused by free radicals; it’s a combination of many factors. The lines that appear between your brows (glabella) actually result from muscle movement and the passage of time. After years of crinkling and wrinkling, those lines start to linger longer and can become more pronounced. For women, whose faces tend to be more animated than men’s, and whose skin is typically more delicate, these lines may appear exaggerated and more permanent.
What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. It is a non-surgical, physician-administered treatment that can temporarily reduce moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and around the eyes. During treatment, very low doses of BOTOX® Cosmetic are administered via a few tiny injections directly into the muscles that cause those stubborn lines. BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is usually done in about 10 minutes, and no recovery time is needed. Within days, you may see an improvement that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary.
The facts about BOTOX® Cosmetic
• Results can last for up to 4 months.
• BOTOX® Cosmetic has been used to treat a million people in the United States since it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002 for the temporary treatment of moderate to severe frown lines.
• The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ranked BOTOX® Cosmetic as the most popular of all physician-administered cosmetic procedures (surgical and non-surgical combined) for 2002 and 2003.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic work?
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
Will I experience any side effects from BOTOX® Cosmetic?
Will my facial expressions continue to look natural?
What will happen if I choose not to continue BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments?
Is BOTOX® Cosmetic affordable?
Pre & Post Treatment Care
Ingestion of alcoholic beverages prior to treatment can increase the chances of bruising and/or swelling. No anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, etc.), aspirin, Vitamin E, or Ginko Biloba one week prior to treatment. This will reduce the possible side effects of bruising and/or swelling in area(s) of treatment. You cannot be pregnant or breastfeeding to receive treatment. You cannot be allergic to eggs or egg products to receive treatment.
Treatment effect will take 2 to 10 days. Benefits of treatment may last 3 to 6 months; the average is 4 months. Please inform the office if the resolution of the lines has not taken effect in 10 days. Additional unit of BOTOX® Cosmetic may be necessary to achieve desired result. Follow up treatments should be scheduled prior to return of full movement of muscle, usually at three months. Consistent repeated treatments will produce the best resolution of wrinkles.